Dry Eye after lazer surgery

A good starting place, please introduce yourself

Dry Eye after lazer surgery

Postby Butterfly » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:05 am

Hi, I am very short sighted and am considering lazer surgery. I have heard that I could be left with dry eyes. My uncle suffers badly with dry eyes and I am afraid I am going to get this afterwards as I know he has terrible trouble with it. His dry eye just happened and he has had it for years. He has not had surgery.

Has anyone been left with dry eyes after surgery.

Is it a risk worth taking and how many people get dry eye afterwards?

For those who have dry eyes would you rather be poor sighted with no dry eyes, or have good vision and have dry eye?

Many thanks in advance

Kim
Butterfly

Re: Dry Eye after lazer surgery

Postby Goose45 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:59 pm

Hi Butterfly, Having dry eyes isnt juat as simple as just having dry eyes if that makes sense. It is a pretty miserable condition. Your eyes burn are gritty and sore, i have pain above one eye and a feeling of numbness below my eyes as well as a pins and needles feeling. Using a computer makes them worse as does dry hot atmospheres. I hate having to wear glasses but my vision is pretty bad. I used contact lenses for a long time and felt more confident in these whereas in glassess I feel frumpy and ugly. I would love to have intra ocular surgery (where they replace the lens) and not wear glasses any more. I am often wondering what I would prefer - perfect eyesite with dry eyes with the risk it may make it worse maybe or keep glasses and manage my dry eye as best I can. I was told that any eye surgery makes your eyes dry anyway and as we get older your eyes dry out too. Having said that my daughter has has laser eye surgey with fantastic results and if I was 21 again and didnt have dry eyes then I would have laser too. She gets slighly dry eyes in some atmospheres but its occasional.
You need to look at the research and make your mind up from that I think and go to a surgeon who has been recommended by those who have been and had the surgery done and how was the after care. Not sure if this is helpful.
Goose45

Postby Butterfly » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:37 am

Thank you very much for your advice. I will have to book an initial consultation I think and find out all the facts. I will research a good place to go for surgery and enquire. I would rather pay more for a reputable surgeon and get good results. I am not in any great rush so will take my time and investigate.

Thanks again!
Butterfly

Postby Goose45 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Sheffield Vision Centre is very good. The surgeon there, Mathew Edwards, sees the referals from other areas where laser surgery hasnt been done correctly. Not sure waht area you are in. You pay more but the care is excellent.
Goose45

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:16 am

I have signed up on here just to warn you about laser eye surgery. I have severe dry eye, not from lasik, but i know many who have got it from Lasik and have had there lives ruined due to severe dry eye. If you have mild dry eye- like you cant wear contacts- that is ussualy because you have an underlying dry eye condition, and Lasik can make this 50x worse than your contact lense dry eye. There are people on thedryeyezone.com who DID NOT even have contact lense dry eye and now have severe lasik dry eye. So you just dont know. Dry eye is no joke it is a painfull condition. My severe dry eye is debilitating, i cant read for long, i have constant pain, burning. Alot of people after having lasik now have to wear GOGGLES anywhere outsicde the house. This is what they traded thier glasses in for.

Also, lasik is not a cure for vissiob problems, often a few years- you will have to have retouch ups. There are also many other issues, like gosting and halos that people experience. Find a nice pair of rimless glasses. I WOULD wear glasses and live a normal life, over having severe dry eye where i can hardly work anymore.

Have a look on that website. You will find Tons of people who wish they could turn back the clock. Yes you might be one of the lucky ones- but even they are getting dry eye years down the road- because the nerves on the cornea never fully grow back. Is it worth the risk??

Postby Butterfly » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Thanks Guest.

You have given me much to consider. I wonder if you get this kind of advice from those conducting the surgery etc. They must make it seem straightforward and unproblematic just to keep themselves employed?

If everyone was aware of the problems such as having to wear goggles outside, the numbers opting for the surgery would surely be less than it currently is?

It all seems very scary
Butterfly

Postby 742771 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Hello. I have just joined this site as i live in the UK. I post on dryeyezone forum as well. I had eye surgery to remove a small cataract and had toric lense implants to correct astigmatism and short sightedness - the promise was better sight no glasses. A lazer is used during the surgery.
If only I had a time machine and could go back, I would.
I now have severe evaporative dry eyes, Blepharitis and see shining lights. I spend time at the eye clinic every 2 months, use drops every couple of hours. The pain in one eye is awful all the time. This doesnt happen to everyone, I was one of the unlucky ones - but there are an awful lot of us on the dryeyezone.com.
Really look into it before you go ahead.

Postby Butterfly » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:38 pm

I have given up my to have lazer surgery. It seems to me like there is too much risk... well for me anyway. I guess it's the luck of the draw? I understand that it's the actual surgeon and not the company they work for which is of most importance. None the less, having looked into surgery and having read what others have said, I feel for me, at the moment its a no go. I will wait until it becomes a more exact science or that the operations performed are much higher in number and have higher success rates.

Thanks everyone for your comments and stories. They have been most helpful.
Butterfly

Return to Introductions